Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Harmony Day



At school today the kids celebrated Harmony Day. First of all, it is an opportunity to wear your native costume, or something Australian, or something orange. Aubrye really wanted something with the American flag, so we bought a plain t-shirt and painted on "USA." The boys were happy to wear their Australia t-shirts (thank goodness.) There are so many various nationalities represented in Australia. Just at the school I've met people from South Africa, Croatia, Malaysia, Egypt, Lebanon, China, India, East Timor, and Holland. The majority of non-Australians are Asian & Indian.



The second thing about Harmony Day is that grandparents are invited to the school.

We have always been lucky enough to have Grandma & Grandpa Hall close by, but not this time. Aubrye thought maybe I could wear lipstick and some nice jewelry to pass for Grandma Linda. Bryson though maybe we could have Grammy Ann & G'pa John fed-ex'd to us, since they live closer.

They had to settle for me. Taylor & I watched each class parade around. (Thankfully there is a new shade over the playground. It is hot here again.) Then we got to visit each classroom. (And here's the real reason for the day...) The Grandparents can purchase their student's artwork that has been displayed around the classroom. Not a bad fundraiser, eh? What grandparent is not going to make that purchase?

After that, there's "morning tea" (snack) and another assembly. It took Tay & I awhile to visit 3 classrooms, so we left after a quick "tea" with Zach.

We were invited to a friend's house after school. This was the highlight: swinging around the drying rack. My boys in their green & gold fit right in with Hamish & Ethan don't they?

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

Hi Carrie--I had no idea you guys were in Australia! What sent you there? I'm a little jealous. After this last Utah winter, I want to move somewhere warmer. The always-moving-Air Force-bug is getting to me.
Your family is so cute. Little Taylor is so stinking cute. Sawyer came out so big (bigger than the others) that I feel cheated from the tiny newborn stage. He's very cute--no surprise with cute parents and siblings.
I probably should have emailed instead of leaving a marathon comment. I'm glad my cousin Megan clued me in to your blog. I'm always thrilled to find other family members' blogs.

Aubrey said...

By the way, I do know descriptive words other than cute, I guess proofreading does occasionally come in handy.

Linda Hall said...

Yea! for Aubrye and the U.S.A! Her picture was so sweet! The boys looked cute too. I can't believe how much older Tay is looking already! I just want to squeeze that little guy!
Love, Grandma Linda