Sunday, April 20, 2008

pace yourself...this is a long one

Here's a glimpse of the week:
Monday- Grocery shopping with all the kids... no one enjoys this hardship. The shopping trolleys (carts) are SO difficult to control (I could do an entire blogpost on my firey HATE of the trolleys here, and you still wouldn't know just how livid I get every time I have to push one.) Of course we need quite a few things, and the cart gets very heavy, and therefore harder to push.

Tuesday- We met up with our friends, the Bairds, for the last time. We met at Darling Harbour, and went to the Powerhouse Museum. Very fun. We could've spent lots more hours there. We'll miss our friends!

Wednesday-In the morning I started cooking and prepping for the baptism day lunch. It takes a while to cook since the counter space is limited and there are only a couple bowls, one knife, etc. I took the kids ten-pin bowling with the Dorins (regular old 'bowling' means lawn bowling, so you have to differentiate here.) Bowling highlight: Bryson's ball literally bouncing down the lane. Bowling low-light: the 2 tokens I gave each of them afterward, and the cashing in of those *#@!!*# tickets you win at the arcade. Such stress from deciding which piece of rubbish you want for your hard-earned 22 tickets!

Thursday-Matt & I learned that there are no baptism clothes provided for Bryson. We begin the process of hunting for white pants. No one has anything. We could get some from the church supplier in 6-8 weeks. Today I miss home.

Friday-Matt took the day off. We headed out shopping, bribing the kids that they could play at Ikea while we're there. Of course, it's school holiday, and raining, so a few (zillion) other parents must've made this same promise. I found some cricket pants that are white, and long enough for Kareem Abdul-Jabar. Thankfully I borrowed a sewing machine the day before to hem Aubrye's school uniform, so I could just add these pants to my list of to do's. Somehow, Matt & I agreed to wait in the 1 hour line to get the kids into "smaland" at Ikea. We walked around with Taylor for awhile, and then picked up the kids for dinner at the cafeteria (swedish meatballs, anyone?) I don't need to tell you how late I was up this night...

Saturday- Bryson's baptism day. He was all smiles and cooperation. I was amazed. Our bishop agreed to go start filling the font at 7am since it takes several hours(: We loaded up all the food, and even remembered towels, and dry underwear for Matt & Bryson. I'll post more details of the day with some photos.

Sunday- I had ward council meeting in the morning and then spoke in sacrament meeting. After lunch I took one of the best Sunday naps ever!

5 comments:

Heather Richardson said...

Yes, as always, looking forward to the details and the photos. Congratulations Bryson! We are so proud of you.
I also like the taste of everyday life - its fun to hear about your shopping adventures there - what are the stores like? And why are the trolleys worse than shopping carts?
so many interesting facts of aussie life....
and I'm assuming that "smaland" at Ikea is just "small-land" with an aussie accent? :-)

Miller Family said...

Man, it was quite a week! I hope that this week is a little more mellow. We were wondering when you are moving and how long it takes to get mail to you? We also look forward to the pictures of Bryson's special day. Congratulations Bryson!!

Mike said...

Carrie,

The way you write just kills me. I'm still laughing over the Kareem Abdul Jabar comment. Your words like trolley, rubbish, etc. make you sound like an Aussie! Hope you have a relaxing week this week. Then again, your blogs might not be so entertaining if they are too relaxing!

Mike

overtheedge said...

Congratulations Bryson! We're excited to hear all about your baptism. I'm glad you found some white pants! We look forward to seeing you in July.
Keep smiling!
Bishop Edgington
P.S. Carrie, your blogs are great. Thanks for taking the time and energy to share it with us. It makes it seem like you're not so far away.

Lindsey S. said...

Congratulations Bryson! We wish we could have been there. We love you all and miss you lots!