Friday, October 10, 2008

Pepe's new list

Today Taylor & I had another visit with Pepe (say "Peppy"), the Physical Therapist, or "Physio" as we say down south. I have liked her no-nonsense approach to helping Tay overcome his head tipping addiction. I can't say the same for Taylor: my normally easy-going and pleased-to-see-you bubba turns frantic at the slightest glance in Pepe's direction. I don't attempt to make Pepe believe that he's ever agreeable; she doesn't ask.

{notice the tilt, as Tay zones on the Wii channel}

I don't think our progress is as speedy she anticipated, but I will take full credit for that. I haven't pushed him the way she does. I often feel like he's worked so hard at physio that I need to give him a couple days off as a reward. Or, when I go to start his stretches, he thinks I want to cuddle so he leans in for a long, clingy hug. I can't cause discomfort (ie. pain) to such a child. Could you?

Well, you know, lots of things change when you review 'the budget' (spoken with air quotes and a low voice) which we did this past week. Seeing the chunk of change we're dropping in Pepe's lap makes me more willing to stretch my child's neck the 4 times a day that is prescribed.

Today, after the usual stretches and screaming and loud toys she insists on using, she goes, "Does he crawl?" Well, yes, he does indeed. If you mean can he get to where he wants to go by scooting with one foot and one hand while on his bum, the way Aubrye used to do it.

No. Crawling involves all 4 major extremeties working together. His scoot is counterproductive to correcting the torticollis. We will have to restrict the scooting and train him to crawl.

I feel like a total loser. I've taught my kids to somersault, read, take over their dishes, wipe, but somehow I failed to teach Taylor proper crawling form. Just yesterday we were all clapping & whooping it up when Taylor would "COME" on command...scooting. Now he has an ace bandage keeping his chubbalicious knees together. And I have a two page list of new exercises to add to the neck stretches.



Looks like school holidays just got a little less fun. Thankfully, we're down to 3 more days... (Of course, Bryson won't complain about 3 solid days of Wii while I'm upstairs torturing my bubba.)

5 comments:

Heather Richardson said...

Wow, so much of what you say is sooo familiar:

physical therapist
stretches/discomfort
scooting
pages of home exercises..

Henry NEVER crawled, he scooted for months, putting holes in all of his pants, then, at just about two years, he walked (within a week of Jed!)
I know crawling is very fundamental in development, it just wasn't in the cards for Henry. Now he's just as quick as his brothers, takes gymnastics and does some mean trampoline tricks.

Hang in there...you are an awesome mom and Tay is just going to take off one of these days.
(Henry screamed his way through the first year of therapy as well)

enjoy the rest of your holiday!

Katie said...

Sorry to hear about all the exercises--it is miserable to make them do uncomfortable things! Evan's been on breathing treatments from his nebulizer all week, and has had to have ear drops, and he fights me like crazy on those two things! Good luck, and I'm sure Tay will come around!

Lindsey S. said...

I think the scoot is so dang cute. Too bad it doesn't help. I would have a hard time doing the exercises too. Hopefully he'll start getting better sooner then later!

jack richardson said...

poor tay!!!:-(

Sue Coe said...

I agree with Jack! Poor sweet baby Taylor . . . and poor Carrie!!

(Will ace-bandaging his knees together get him to crawl?)

Wish I was coming with Mom on Thursday!!!