It's never that difficult to guess what we're having for dinner, considering I tend to make the same 3-5 things over and over again. I like those things. They consist of most food groups, and even allow me to sneak in a variety of veggies. SO, that's what we eat. Before moving to Sydney, dinner came from Cafe Rio or Papa Johns or Kneaders or Macaroni Grill..... but, I digress....
So, as I live in a less convenient/affordable-to-eat-out city, but we still desire to eat, I cook at home. How genius is that?
Sadly, I am totally deficient in my favorite "ward" cookbooks, and the pile-of-recipes-on-scraps-of-paper that are my very most favorites. I did grab my trusty Betty Crocker (red & white checkered) cookbook when I was home in July. Thank goodness. I do like to branch out a little when we have company (the missionaries are 'company' right?).
Imagine my surprise when my new friend (who came to Canberra with us at the last second) mentioned that she writes a food blog. **You are probably way more current than me, and you follow food blogs, and get all your yummy bits there already.** Well, this was my first. And I LOVE IT. I have to share, so you can take part. Aside from the catchy title (Hot off the Garlic Press) & delicious food, she also takes gorgeous photos which I love to see, AND writes very LOL stories, AND she hides veggies and fiber in her dishes!
When I was young, my mom made several attempts to healthify us. I was picky and stubborn and really would have starved to death if it weren't for Wonder bread & creamy Skippy peanut butter. Once, my mom was convinced that sprouts were the key to nutrition. She grew them on the windowsill, and got creative with them. She thought maybe no one would notice if she added them to our pancakes. Plan failed, and she's never lived it down.
Now that I am the mom, and therefore more concerned with everyone's intake and output, I am constantly on the prowl for sneaky ways to make people (myself included) get closer to their "5-a-day." Bringing this random post full circle, I can tell you that Natalie's recipes with "hidden goodness" are much better than the sprout-cakes. Everything I've made so far has been gobbled up! I've been inspired to try new and different vegetables, and I just love eating brownies now, knowing that I have made them a significant source of fiber & omega 3s (thanks to ground flax & whole wheat...)
Here's where to find her www.hotgarlic.blogspot.com. I'll link her up on my sidebar pretty soon. Bon apetit.
6 years ago

5 comments:
Great post Carrie! I think you are speaking for many of us about the challenges we face with feeding our kids! (nutritiously anyway..)
Thanks for the link, what a fun blog and seems like a great friend, too!
Another "food" blog that focuses on everyday menus for families with kids that I enjoy is:
http://thisweekfordinner.com/
I don't know the author personally, but she is the friend of a friend.
have a great day!
Jessica Seinfeld wrote a cook book called Deceptively Delicious. They are all recipes with things hidden in them. I saw it on Oprah once (what a suprise) and it seemed really good.
Hey! WOW, thanks lady. I'm so flattered! I love what you wrote about your experiences, hilarious. The pancakes sound like pure disaster. Our ward puts on cooking classes once for the next 10 months and they are really fun, you should come with me next time! I even taught the first one and have 2 more to teach.
Anyway, we'll be home tomorrow and the patio furniture is ready and waiting for it's first guests to arrive so let's catch up asap!
Thanks again, your words were so sweet and meant so much {not to get all mushy on ya!}
PS I LOVE the new look of your blog! So cute and I need to post a big 'visitors welcome' on mine too! We need some action in that department.
I've never read a food blog before, but I liked it. I can't imagine taking pictures of our meals. That'd be funny. Thanks for sharing. We miss you! J
Post a Comment