Say, Boo-laaaaaah!
Everywhere you go in Fiji, this is the greeting. A couple times I heard myself say Hola by mistake. I'm pretty sure it slipped under the radar though.
We had a fantastic holiday to Fiji last week. It was exactly what we'd hoped for--hanging out together. It seems we've been going so many different directions for the past couple months. Well, mostly just Matt has been in the opposite direction from the rest of us. But, he was back in the Southern Hemisphere, and ready to reconnect.
I can honestly say, there is no better place to do so than in Fiji! We hadn't done our usual research and planning for this trip. We had it scheduled 6 months ago, and then it just kind of snuck up on us. We read the Fiji tour book on the flight, and just decided to wing it. Lots of Aussies vacation in Fiji--there are always cheap flights, plus the exchange rate works in our favor. We were warned that it can downpour for weeks at a time. We were warned that the government instability makes it an unsafe travel destination. But our experience was only positive. (Unless you count the runs we all came home with... but I just chalk that up as another souvenir.)
K. So, here's some geography & history before I get on with the trip.


Fiji is 2 large-ish islands and lots of little ones (including "Castaway Island" where Tom Hanks movie was filmed.)
Her majesty Queen Elizabeth II reigns over Fiji, but they have their own local gov't. If it weren't for the union jack on their flag, and her face all over their money, there is really no sign of the white Europeans (British Aussies) who "settled" the land. Of course, the Fijians had been living there for thousands of years prior, but some white guys went exploring and "discovered" the land, and paid off some Fijian kings debts, and therefore made claim on the land. They promptly started exporting sugar cane, and then imported lots of endangered servants (slaves) from India (another land ruled by the Commonwealth of England) to work in the fields. For this reason, there are now two dominant cultures in Fiji. The laid-back, warm and welcoming Fijians, and the more intense, born to be used car salesmen, Fijian Indians.
We stayed at the "X"--on the south side of Viti Levu (the Coral Coast), part way between Nadi and Suva. There is one road that travels between these 2 major cities. It is mostly paved, but sometimes dirt, and always best to drive it on an empty bladder... especially with Matt at the wheel. We arrived at night, and drove an hour or so to the hotel. Matt started to gun it early in our journey--he had the need to pass the slow guy in front of us. Well, turned out the slow guy was slow because the road turned to gravel, and was more like skiing moguls than driving. The kids launched a foot out of their seats (only a couple seatbelts actually worked.) We all screamed. And then laughed hysterically. It was so dark, and our headlights so dim that we really had no clue what the road was doing. The rest of the drive was slow and cautious, so don't worry mom.
The Resort life was picture perfect paradise. It looked like a back drop. We snorkeled, parasailed, swam, mini-golfed, napped, and buffet-ed. The staff were so warm and adoring toward the kids. They had babysitters and little chiefs club activities available at just about any hour of the day. I would highly recommend this spot as a family friendly holiday.
After a couple days in the Resort, we were anxious to get out and see Fiji for real. It was still "postcard" perfect: swaying palm trees and crashing waves, lush hillsides and tropical birds. But there were stark contrasts. Poverty; villages that are probably lost with every passing monsoon; barefoot hitckhikers. Boys carrying long swords--the Fijian's tool of choice. We picked up as many people as we could fit in the van. We started wanting to spend the day just giving rides to people.
On Sunday, the public busses hardly run at all, so there were more people than usual on the road. We took a boy to his church. We picked up a mom and her 2 girls. As they piled in we noticed a Book of Mormon in the girls' hand. They were able to direct us to their meetinghouse (which was an old store--everyone met in one large space which made it very hard to hear the Sunday School lesson when the Primary kids began singing!) This experience was so foreign to our kids. They were in awe. I don't think they (or I for that matter) can fully grasp what life in Fiji is truly like.
After church we drove some members home. They lived across the lagoon from our resort. They had never seen inside the bush-lined walls of the resort, so we took them in and showed them. They took us into their village, and into their tiny, dark home. They cooked us fish and potatoes and insisted we eat while they stood back and watched. The table was set with 4 plates, one fork, an open box of salt, 2 boiled potatoes and 2 fish. The fish were completely whole--eyes, fins, gaping mouth wide open. Brother Sorby had caught the fish the day before and his mother cooked them in coconut milk for us. I couldn't shake the feeling that we were eating their precious food, and that they would go hungry because of it. But, I knew it would've been much worse to reject it. Before the meal, they passed around a bowl of water to wash our hands in. I am emotional just thinking about all this.
My gratitude and awareness for my privileged life just sweeps over me. Why do I whine? Why do I waste? I want to stop. My new friends have so little, and yet they are so happy and filled with purpose. They cannot even imagine my kitchen cupboard. It is a very different existence we lead. One not superior to the other. I learn from this experience, and pray that my kids do as well.
(to be continued...)

7 comments:
Oh - I can't wait for Part 2 . . . Hurry!! I want more.
(yikes - demanding - it's my spoiled American side - sorry!)
Can't wait, though...sounds wonderful!
Great trip, great post! And I'm glad I have the accompanying pictures on Facebook to get the whole picture! Can't wait for part two...
What a wonderful experience for you and your family. I promise, they will never forget it! Thanks for sharing your feelings so well. It reminded me of the time Larry and I took our 3 oldest boys, including Matt, to Malaysia. We ate in a friends very humble home where his wife cooked over an open fire outside their small home. The boys called him Uncle Zinal, at his request. He was Larry's driver on many trips there. They had no indoor plumbing or any kitchen appliances to speak of. No glass in the windows. We ate very strange food, yet the boys were good sports.
I look forward to the "rest of the story!" Love you, linda
just checking in to see if Part Two is up yet...
Sorry -- no pressure -- but I was just checking too :-)
Hope you aren't waiting for me to post again first . . . cuz, judging from my past performance, it could be a while...
What an awesome experience!
Hey my sister Mary has been over in Fiji the past month as a youth leader for a humanitarian group. Too bad you guys didn't run into each other. You get to do so much fun traveling. How great is that.
Post a Comment