Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Reconciliation Week

Using Truscott Street students' hands to create the Aboriginal Flag

Every year in May, the schools in New South Wales spend a week learning more about "Reconciliation." This is the word used to describe the relationship between Indiginous Australians (Aboriginals) and Immigrants (all other Aussies). Everyone is required to prepare a speech: the younger grades speak on a simple assigned topic while the older grades (3-6) choose from a list of topics that pertain to reconciliation: racism, discrimination, political views, social rights... etc. Not my forte... Last year when we prepared the speeches we were totally clueless. This year we knew more of what to expect.

The kids each practiced at home and then presented in their classrooms. Two kids from each class were then selected to present their speech to the school. Well, last year Bryson was selected to speak to the school. This year all 3 kids were chosen! I was so proud of them. Of course, they were not that happy... I will admit, I wouldn't think that speaking in front of the school is a very good reward for giving a good speech in class. (more of a dis-incentive if you ask me, but I didn't tell them that!) So, I bribed them.

Two new lego sets and one pair of ears RE pierced (for the 3rd time... don't get me started...)

It turns out, Aubs and Zach ended up winning! What does that mean?
I guess Aubs is supposed to go on to the next level... but she is conveniently not telling me any details in
hopes that I will just forget about it.

For the grandparents, here are their speeches on youtube...

5 comments:

Heather Richardson said...

Let me be the first (and surely not the last) to say WOW!!

Those speeches were great! And what was really awesome was the way Aubrye, Bryson and (especially!) Zach presented them in such a calm, clear manner!
I am very impressed!

Congratulations and good luck on the next level - I love the modern invention of youtube so I could experience them nearly first hand!
Thanks for sharing.

Linda Hall said...

Wow is right! I had to share your youtube site with some family, and our best friends the Smiths and Neilsons! They love hearing about all of you, and of course the Smiths enjoyed staying with you when we came to Sydney! Tell all 3 kids how proud grandpa and I are of them!!
love, grandma

Rebecca said...

Hmm, for the grandparents, huh. Well, since Matt does like to make comments about how ancient I am, I guess I qualify. And all three of them did an amazing job! Thanks for sharing. Miss you...

sixrich said...

Oh Boy!! Auntie Sue told me that your talks were on the blog today and i couldn't wait to view them! I had felt SO LUCKY to hear them by phone the day they were given. Now I can share them with everyone. I LOVED the way you spoke so clearly!! AND I loved the talks. Can't wait to hear if going to Fiji made you miss the finals or not!!

Congratulations you darlings. What fun to be your family!

I am excited to hear about Fiji!
xox, Grammie Ann

Sue Coe said...

Wow - you guys are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Such poise! Thanks so much for posting - I enjoyed 'being there' so much.

love, sue

P.S. Sounds like Rebecca & I have something in common - Matt loves to point out how ancient I am too! Oh well, it's worth it if it qualifies me to see the videos for grandmas!