Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Counting the days

Bryson wanted to create a countdown for our trip to UT/CA. Instead, we just check the traffic boards! This one is right by our house. It just so happens that World Youth Day is July 15, here in Sydney. It's this huge gathering of Catholic Youth from all over the world. Even the Pope is coming. SO, all the traffic boards have a countdown going. We just subtract 13, and that's how many days until our visit!
The only bad thing is, we'll have to be at the airport at this time, with thousands of youth flying in and out af Sydney, as well as the POPE. I guess security will be pretty tight.

A couple of other things...

(This is my bragging time, so if you're not grandma or grandpa, you don't have to listen.)
The kids have had a ton of homework this term. A big chunk of it has been preparing speeches. They had a list of topics, all with a "multicultural" theme. Aubs chose "The Symbols of Australia." Easy enough. We came up with 4 minutes of material, and she wrote out index cards (palm cards) to help her. She had it very well memorized.

Bryson chose to speak on "The Power of Words." A little vague, but we came up with a pretty good speech, I think. He also memorized it, but made some palm cards, just in case. So, 2 kids are chosen to present their speech to the school. From there, a few children are chosen to go on to the regional level for public speaking. Bryson has been chosen as one of the 2 kids from year 3. He'll speak to the school next Wednesday--I can't wait to go watch!

Aubrye's big moment was at the cross country day. She came in 10th in the girls division, years 4, 5 & 6. That put her as an alternate for regionals (they take the top 8). She was a little relieved not to have to go compete, but I was just proud of her for running 2 km without stopping.

The kids have been progressing really well at school. It's good for them to be challenged. It's hard, of course, and I have to listen to them complain about it. But, in the end, I've seen them gain self confidence as they are forced to try new and different things.

It is SO good I am not still homeschooling! I just couldn't do it. But, I really respect those moms who can!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Congrats to Aubs and Bryson. Way to go! We're so proud of you.

Rebecca said...

Oh, and by the way, we're counting down the days too :o)

Heather Richardson said...

So nice how you are settling in to your new home, I'm sure this is a wonderful feeling after living in "limbo" for so long. I love to read about your new friends and your accomplishments and all of your responsibilities, you are having a nice normal life in the midst of your grand adventure. That is great. We are looking forward to your visit in July, but we know you will be going back afterwards to people and places that are comforting and familiar, and waiting for you to return to "home".

Lindsey S. said...

I think I have been counting down for about a month now when you guys will be here! I will know what we are having by the time you get here too! I can't wait!