Monday, June 23, 2008

Spit Bridge/Clontarf

Even though Australians hold Fathers' Day in September, we decided to take Matt out for a picnic on "American Fathers' Day." One of my favorite places (I'm collecting quite a few favorites) is Clontarf, overlooking the Spit Bridge. This is in Middle Harbour, on the way to Manly. There is a small beach at Clontarf with a playground and lots of sailboats to watch. I thought there would be many boats out this day, as it was quite windy, but we actually only saw a few sailors out. We never even saw the bridge open. **This is a picture of the bridge open on another day.**
It was pretty cold. (We tend to have gorgeous weather throughout the week, and then on Saturday it will rain...)





Anyway, we had a yummy picnic. I made Matt his favorite--egg salad sandwiches. Usually he only gets these from his mom, as I can't stand the smell of boiled eggs... I had to wrap his sandwich four times, to protect the rest of our food from smelling like farts (sorry mom, but it's true.)






The kids had a great time playing on the playground. They each took turns taking Taylor down the slide, which he loved.

















Taylor also got his first real swing experience (he lies in a baby swing at home, but that doesn't count.) Here's a clip. **clip didn't load--I'll try again later**


I WISH I had a clip of this next event. I don't think I can do it justice with words. I'll try. We were finishing up eating because the seagulls were beginning to take over. I, being not fond of birds in general, kept telling the kids DON'T feed them! These birds are stinkin' aggressive anyway...We were about to witness this aggression on one of our own. This photo is before the attack.



Aubrye had less than a bite of sandwich in her hand and she started walking around on the sand. We were about 10 feet away on the grass. All of the sudden 20 seagulls in flight were surrounding her head. She began running at top speed (not easy on sand). Her panicked screams, her arms and legs pumping...she was laughing and crying all at the same time. Then she realized, "the sandwich!" and without slowing down a bit, she chucked it over her shoulder, and kept running. That sandwich never touched ground. And, though the birds had turned away from her, she just kept running and running. Matt rescued her, but it took awhile for her to calm down. In fact, Zach was screaming and crying by then as well. This all happened in about 15 seconds, but boy was it packed with adrenaline.

Soon after this, Zach saw a little boy and his mom feeding like 100 seagulls and he almost died. I had to explain to him that in our family we don't feed those nasty birds, but it is true that some people do. And that's ok.

8 comments:

Mike said...

I'm still laughing at the seagull story. Reminds me of the "Mine, mine, mine" birds in Finding Nemo!

The picture of Matt chowing down on his egg sandwich is a thing of beauty as well! We'll try to have something more appetizing for you when you come to the Ward BBQ next week.

Wow, only a few more days! Kristen was all sad yesterday because she said she realized she would have to "share the Halls" when they come. :)

Heather Richardson said...

A great post! The photos were so fun, the thing that struck me the most looking at them was how BIG Zach is getting, he is turning into quite his own person, not just a little kid. He is definitely not the baby anymore!

I'm glad Aubrye survived her episode of "When Animals Attack" - those must have been some tasty egg sandwiches!

I had a similar event when I was younger and my quite elderly grandma took me to a petting zoo - we walked into the enclosure with a paper bag full of feed to dole out to the tame, docile animals by the handful, but forget it!! The word must have gotten out after the first serving and those animals swarmed us! Pushy goats, sheep, chickens and a couple of donkeys were all trying to get to my paper bag, and one goat reared up on me!
My grandma threw the bag on the ground and we hustled away from the frenzy. That left quite an impression on me as well....

see you all SOON!!

C Hall said...

Clarification-ONLY MATT ate egg sandwiches.

And, Heather, I never would've guessed you had issues with animals!

Nikki said...

Ever since I saw Finding Nemo, I always think of the 'mine mine mine' thing from the movie! That and the fact that late at night they sound like drunk laughing women - at least they did when I first moved to Bristol!

Sounds like a great day out, animal attacks notwithstanding. Happy Father's Day to Matt!

When we get there, you'll have to show me all these favorite places you're collecting! Believe me, I'd be on a plane today, but it looks like P wants to wait for another month or so, so I have to be patient, aargh! But we're definitely coming!

Aubrey said...

Apparently the seagulls in Nemo aren't an over exaggeration then. Poor Aubre--at least she had the common sense to throw the sandwich in the midst of seagull chaos.

Katie said...

Looks like a fun day, despite the seagull incident. They are agressive birds--I remember always being afraid to feed Evan anything at the beach for fear they would attack him because he's little.

I'm glad you made it to the beach by the Spit. I love driving over the Spit and seeing that area, but I only found the beach on a map a few weeks before we left, and I couldn't talk Mike and the kids into leaving the surfing at Manly to explore something different, so we never made it over there--just one of my small reqrets.

Sometime when you are over in Manly, you should drive out to North Head. You can easily find it on a map, but then there are nice, paved walking paths and you can see out to the ocean, see the city in the distance, and enjoy a nice view. Just a fun short outing to supplement another trip to Manly.

Missing you, and wish we could see you in Utah this summer. Have a great trip!

Cajilig News said...

Your story put a smile on my face. I think I now know why I'm friends with Matt for a long time now, I like egg sandwich myself. Reminds me of "balut" a lot. Looking forward to seeing you guys. Have a safe trip back home.

Lindsey S. said...

hahaha The sandwhichs really smell like farts!

Poor Aubs. If she runs anything like you when seeing a mouse I'm sure she got out quick! ;)