If you're like me, you like looking at maps. We live in Sydney. To fly from Sydney to Melbourne is 1.5 hours, or 10 hours driving. Because Melbourne is to the south, it is colder. They even have a couple "mountains" here where people ski. Matt will check into this, I'm sure. Although, from what I hear, our old yard in Grandview is probably steeper than these ski runs.Anyway, back to Phillip Island. We came to see the Little Penguins parade out of the sea and into their burrows in the dunes. That happens after sunset, so we made a couple stops along the way.
There is a lot of nature in Australia. I have an equation for you: Australia = Nature = Animals. So along our drive we saw alot of green nature along with sheep, cows, birds, bugs & marsupials.
Our first stop on the island was Woolamai Beach. Massive waves live here. There were even a few surfers to watch. Matt hung with Tay (who sat and ate sand) while Aubrye came dangerously close to freezing herself at the water's edge, and I chatted with my mom on the phone. It kinda blows my mind just how far away we are. It usually hits me when we're looking out at the ocean... But, thanks to satellites or technology or magic or something, my mom was just 15 easy digits away.
Next stop, Koala Conservation forest. There were some raised boardwalks amongst the trees to get you more up close and personal with the cuddly looking bears, which are in fact NOT cuddly or "bears." Here's a warning sign you don't see everyday...
The highlight was a mama koala climbing her tree with a pretty big baby clinging to her tummy. But, these animals are alot like my kids, cuz the minute I turn on the camera they turn their back and/or disappear. Here's a couple more koala pics I was able to get. And, just so you know, I would not recommend putting your baby this close to a koala. Matt did it. Not me.

By the time we arrived at the Penguin parade, we were already cold and hungry. After a disgusting and way-overpriced meal, and more hot choc, we were ready to head down to the water, and wait for the Little Penguins...
...these penguins are formerly known as "Fairy Penguins." I'm not sure if they had some sort of petition for the name change, but I happen to like Fairy Penguins better. While we waited we called Bryson & Zach, who were having a great time staying with a friend, and not missing us at all. (Thanks Patchs')
So, after the sun sets, the penguins start to come ashore. They are 12 inches tall. They wait until there are like 20 - 30 of them all together, and then they make a mad dash (waddle) for their burrows up in the dunes. It is adorable. I fell in love with these wobbly little guys. Something like 500 of them came out of the water! I promise, there was one we were watching who held his/her right wing out as if to point out the way to the burrow. They cluck at eachother kinda like ducks. One got lost and ended up on the footpath to the souvenier shop. Everyone quietly waited so as not to frighten the little guy, although secretly we all wanted to whip out the camera a take some pictures. (Photos are NOT allowed, as the experts say this scares and disorients the little penguins. But, someone takes their picture, cuz you could buy a photo in the shop...Whatever.)
So here's the sign on the way out. After falling in love with these adorable creatures, wouldn't you just die if you ran one over? Of course Matt had to bring up Snuffy as we passed this sign. I'll never live that down.........

5 comments:
Don't know Snuffy, but can only guess. This is certainly a sign you don't see everywhere! I know a teenager or two who would like to have this on the bedroom wall.
Wow that is so cool. How fun to see wild life like that in a non Zoo setting. I would have loved to see a video of the penguins. Too Bad photos were prohibited.
Hi, just me the predictable commenter..:-) Pete DID read this post as well and had a chuckle at the penguin under the car/Snuffy comment...
The kids and I googled images of fairy penguins to get a visual of those cute creatures, many of the photos mentioned Phillip Island specifically, what a great experience for you guys! And I loved the free range Koalas!
Thanks for the excellent travelogue...
We loved the "Check under your car" sign. Too funny. So glad you've been able to enjoy so many great adventures in Australia.
Koalas, penguins, and Wicked, I am pretty jealous. I've wanted to see Wicked forever! It was sold out in New York while I was there last. Maybe one day I can go. I love all the pictures. What an adventure you are all having. I would like some treatment like Matt. If he gets massages he can send one my way, I could use it now. Love you all, miss you all!
Post a Comment