Thursday, January 8, 2009

Was that New Year's or the 4th of July?

photo courtesy of the Sydney Daily Herald


New Years Eve, after an amazing dinner with the Patchs and Pakis, we walked down to Cremorne Point (across the water from the Opera House) to watch the early show. My kids were already in a bad way. Side aches, itchy bug bites, full tummys, etc. But, we had to have this experience... even if we did see Stadium of Fire just 6 months ago...

Pavlova and fruit for dessert

Kids, pretending to be patient, while the grownups finish dessert and get ready to walk down to the "early" show. Notice the mattress against the wall.
The Pakis' house is not used to a bunch of crazy Hall kids, but they were kind enough to let the kids in anyway. After several crashes of this mattress, Zach's first tooth popped out! It had been a little loose... He didn't realize he'd lost it. He thought he had a fat lip. Upon closer inpection, Matt saw the missing tooth, and even found it in the carpet. Thank heaven's no blood was shed on the lovely, cream carpet.
I call this one, "Hot Sneeze".

There were about 4 places in the harbour where they set off fireworks at 9pm for us poopers. It was terrific, though. After the 10 minute teaser, there was a lighted boat parade, sparklers and poppers for the kids, and then a long walk back UPhill to the Pakis, and to our car. We were tempted to stay for the real show, at midnight, but not tempted enough. There's always next year. AND, there's always watching it on TV!

Turned out Aubs was the only one half awake at midnight. I fell asleep on the couch next to her, and opened my eyes for a few seconds everytime she made her "oooohs" & "ahhhhhs". It was cool. I couldn't help but think of the 4th of July as we were out on the water's edge, hot and sticky, in flip flops, scratching those damn mozzy bites.

(** sorry, but damn and hell aren't swear words here; just ask the kids..."when in Rome", right?)

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Weird that it says this post was done on Thursday and it's still Wednesday here. Love the "hot sneeze"! Still laughing about it. Thanks for all of the updates. I didn't know you were in Rome--I thought you were in Australia :o) Yeah, curse away, Carrie!

Mike said...

Rebecca can tell you that damn and hell are just fine with me! I also loved the hot sneeze. Laughing out loud in my cubicle!! :)

Brandalyn said...

I love reading your blog, you are the best writer and I can always count on a good laugh!! I am glad you had a Merry christmas and a fun New Years! Miss you guys.

Lisa said...

What a fun new year Celebration! You timed it right to get Stadium of fire and New Year's Australian summer celebration! Zack is cute with his missing tooth! We sure miss you guys! Ethan and Summer love watching that world dance competition on TV and are cheering for US and Australia because you guys live there! We love looking at your blog, you describe things in such a great way. I love the hot sneeze picture, couldn't have framed it better! Have a great week! Lisa