I don't usually think of myself as a pushy parent, but I pretty heavily encouraged... bribed...forced... Aubrye and Bryson to enter at least one swimming race at their school's annual competition. I promised them a dollar for every race they entered. With the current exchange rate, that's only about 68 cents, so I didn't think it would stretch my budget too far.
Aubrye and Bryson have been in swimming lessons here, and are getting better at their strokes. It would've been good if they knew how to dive in for a faster start; they didn't need a flip turn, as they were only going to go one length (50m). I got so excited watching them fight to finish those 50 metres.
I was that mom. Pushing Taylor in the stroller along the edge of the lane, cheering them on whether they could hear me or not, telling them how many metres they had left to go, etc. Bryson was about to tread water with only a metre or so left, but he finished! I think he did freestyle, and Aubrye did freestyle and breast stroke.
Aubrye is the "House Captain" this year. Her house is called Edmonson, named for one of the four streets the school is located on. She stayed up late the night before the carnival making up cheers and painting signs. Well, I painted the signs. She told me what she wanted.
Here's Aubrye, but where's the rest of EDMO? Probably off having an ice block (popsicle). Bryson took care of Tay so I could get back to my cheering :)

3 comments:
Yeah! Way to go swimmers! That is awesome, swimming totally kicks my butt, so, I don't really do it much.
We, too, just bribed Jack into one more year of Little League. It was grandpa's idea really, and we ran with it. Last night he picked out a near $100 Lego set at Target and started putting it together. Tonight is his first baseball practice....
K - here's hoping your kids don't read Heather's comment & note the difference in bribe amounts...that could get ugly...not to mention ruin your budget!!!
And, just know, that I am THAT mom (and auntie) as well, so be glad I wasn't there too.....drawing more attention to the 'Go, Aubs' & 'Don't Give Up Brys' embarrassing noise. I'm so proud of them for racing! (but secretly hoping Bryson hasn't given in to the speedo suit)
Grammy here wishing I could have been adding my cheers! Also hoping the kids felt pretty good abt themselves for trying!! How many $1.00's did they earn? Go swimmers!
xox
Post a Comment