Friday, March 28, 2008

-ar

The Kindy curriculum here includes "jolly phonics." Instead of learning letters and sight words and building from there, they practice the letter sounds, and letter blends (ie. sh, th, ch, ar, etc). We have a bit of catching up to do, since Zach is just now beginning Kindy.

Well, he was practicing with me the other day. He didn't remember the first few, and then got all excited over "-ar."
Z: I know this one! I love this one!
Me: Ok. What is it?
Z: aaahhh.
Me: um. Try again.
Z: aaahhh.
Me: You mean "are"?
Z: No. Aaahh.

I finally realized, he was right... in Australian.

So today he's telling me about his friend, Benbaba.
I'm like, You have a friend named Benbaba?
And he's goes, No mom, Ben Baaaaabuh.
A-ha. Ben Barber. I'm finally getting it.
And, now I know that the only boy in class smaller than Zach is called Asha (although his name is spelled A-s-h-e-r.)

Just another fun day in oz.

3 comments:

Lindsey S. said...

I feel like I am losing my brain, and I think I would definaley strugle trying to catch on to the different sounds of everything. Zach's a smarty!

Sue Coe said...

You ahhh the Blog MAST-AHHH !

I get so excited when I check & there's an update! I'm so proud of you guys for diving in - - the aussie's are so lucky to have you (on LOAN from us...)

Miller Family said...

I like the music.