Thursday, March 13, 2008

From 'visitor' to 'temporary resident'

We have decided to stay in Australia.

We will probably visit Utah/CA in July, and return home to stay around Christmas 2009.

It was not an easy decision. I am anxious to return home for so many reasons. But, Australia is a very friendly and beauiful place to spend a couple years, so I am happy that we get to be here.

As soon as knew that we were staying, we were able to sign a lease for a house that we are very excited about. The only drawback is that we cannot move in until May 2. The second thing we did was to send in the papers to start the kids in school. They may be able to begin next week!

Today, the principal took us on a tour of the school, Truscott Street Primary School, and introduced the kids in each of their classrooms. We are happy to have the kids in a small neighborhood public school. It feels alot like Grandview in that most of the staff and students live in the immediate area. They take pride in their school. They are very friendly and helpful.

Truscott has a small unit of physically disabled children. Every week, some students get to go out and have "sport" with the disabled kids. (Pushing their wheelchairs, tossing balls, etc.) It sounded like the children all love this.

Here's the link to check out the school's website http://www.truscottst-p.schools.nsw.edu.au/

There is no doubt that we miss our friends and family. We miss home. But, like I've said before, come visit! Beginning in May we will have plenty of room for you.

6 comments:

Miller Family said...

I'm guessing it feels good to now know what your plan is. We are glad you found a home that will work well for your family.

I thought it was funny that you guys are swimming in the fastest water on earth and we're ice skating on the fastest ice on earth. (I guess those Olympic slogans do stick) I'll have to send a picture of Brenna ice skating. Pretty funny. You've inspired us to start our own blog (expected release date-Easter 2008) so I'll post one from the Olympic Oval. Love you lots, RJAKLEB

Mike said...

Kristen cried over this news last night. Now she thinks we all need to visit you! I think you are in for a great adventure--especially for the kids to be in a place so different from Utah. Enjoy it. I guess we need to start saving our pennies.

Aren't the Bee Gees from Australia? Have you run into Robin Gibb? Ahhh, the memories :)

Mike

Lindsey S. said...

I may cry like Kristen... No, I am very excited for you guys. That will be really cool and an awesome experience for you, but this means we will for sure have to come visit you guys! We aren't sure on our plans yet but it's looking like we will be here in Utah to stay. I am always crossing my fingers. So we should be here to welcome you home, unless something dramatically changes. But we will let you know! How fun, I'll start my penny jar so we can come visit! Or just talk Dad into it....

Linda Hall said...

I am excited that you finally will have a nice place to live, and that the kids will get to go to a nice school! I checked out the web site! It looks like they will wear uniforms! That is great because it saves time and $$! We miss you tons, but we are excited for your great adventure! I have a million questions, so I will email you! I just hope those "Auzies" will let you come home in 2009!! Love, Mom/grandma

Heather Richardson said...

Welcome to the life of an ex-pat! Actually I am excited for your family, for the adventure and so glad that things are working out well lately. I think it is a great thing to have the opportunity to live outside of the US for a time, to get a new perspective and realize that there is a whole wide world out there that is not America, an experience you can never really have as a tourist, but, as a "temporary resident.
Enjoy your time, and we are actively looking forward to our time in Australia as a "visitor" sometime before the end of 2009!

we love and miss you guys!

overtheedge said...

Matt and Carrie,
With so many comedians out of work, I can't understand why Matt is still trying to be funny.
We've decided as a ward that Matt can stay but Carrie and the kids are to return home in late April as we had planned. Let me know what time your flight arrives and we'll have someone there to pick you up.
Seriously, I'm happy for you and somewhat jealous. Your children look like they're having a delightful time, of course they were having one here as well. I can hardly wait to have Aubrye give a talk as a youth speaker with an accent.
Congratulations on your decision. I imagine it will create wonderful memories for you and your children. Stay in touch and we'll keep you in our prayers.
Much love!
Bishop
P.S. The Cunninghams are wonderful people. Will they stay here until you return?