Saturday, March 1, 2008

Leap Day

For leap day we took a field trip to the Aquarium. We were on our way, walking around Darling Harbour, and I couldn't resist this photo op. Girls: 1. Boys: 3. Despite being out-numbered, Aubrye definitely holds the most power. (I'll leave it at that.)

One thing I liked about this aquarium is that it contains sea life that is found in the waters of Australia. Aubrye was looking forward to seeing a platypus (they only live in Aus). I'll try to attach a video clip I took of the little guy. He was impossible to photograph, as he never stopped moving, or even slowed down.
{**our internet connection is too slow to upload video...I'll have to try it when we move**}

Zach wanted to make a b-line to the sharks, but got a bit nervous as we passed by the crocodiles. "I don't like his yellow eyes. He keeps staring at me." Yeah. We all decided we'd rather swim with sharks than crocodiles. Even with the crocs behind glass, we didn't feel safe around them.
Zach did get friendly with this alligator...

There were lots and lots of fish, but one highlight was the tank with all the different fish from Finding Nemo (clown fish, groupers, etc.) The kids noticed that 2 of the clown fish seemed to live in a huge anemone, just like in the movie. There were also 'touch pools' where we could feel coral, star fish, urchins, anemones, etc.
We didn't pet any sting rays or sharks, but we felt like we were swimming with them as we walked through the underwater tunnels.
Taylor was with us, too! He's probably going to look back at our pictures of this time and wonder why he's hardly in them. Sorry, Tay.

Oh, and this was a big day for me, as it was my first time driving downtown. I drive all the time now, around the suburbs where we live, but Matt usually drives in the City. Thank goodness for the TomTom (GPS device). It tells me where to go, but doesn't snap at me when I make a wrong turn. And, when we get to where we're going, it says (in an Aussie accent) "you have arrived at your destination." We are always happy to hear that!

3 comments:

Heather Richardson said...

Hi Halls!
Harriet has a question - did you name your GPS TomTom? Or was it already called that? She has a friend that named their GPS Betty. Also, Harriet tells Aubyre that she knows what its like to have THREE brothers and no sister! (but some great girl cousins!!)
also, Harriet is telling Aubrye to check her email.....

C Hall said...

Good question Harriet--But, no, we didn't name it. It says tomtom right on the front of it. And, the guy that talks to us is named Ken. We didn't name him either.

Lindsey S. said...

I love the pic with aubrye on one side and the boys on the other. I can see how she has more power. She is such a grown up.