Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Heaps of rubbish, and our brush with fame

Over the past 2 weeks we have noticed garbage piles (aka. rubbish heaps) popping up along the roadside. There is garbage and yard waste, as well as furniture, electronics, toys, etc. In the evening I notice people going through the piles and taking what they want. Like they say, "One person's trash is another's treasure." Right?

Well, I finally asked what was to become of all the stuff. I guess each district gets to do this 4-5 times a year! I think they could really use a DI here. But, anyway, I'll post up a picture of the rubbish out on our street.
Can you find 3 piles?
We took a Saturday morning to explore The Rocks Market, in case any of you come here, and want to do some shopping:) Anyway, it's held right under the Harbor Bridge. The kids weren't too excited about it. They did love watching the ubiquitous Spray paint artist (if you've been to a weekend market, you've probably seen one) creating psychadelic outer space art while blasting his music.
We took a break from shopping to feed Taylor. People are constantly asking if all these kids are mine. At least they are nice about it here.
This weekend we also shaved the boys hairs off! Finally. They were getting a bit shaggy. In this picture you can see that they've been taking lessons from all the Asian tourists we see here--striking a pose, and always putting up two fingers.


Lastly, we are still looking for a house. There is a "rental crisis" here in Sydney. The housing market here is doing what CA did for the past couple years. Anyway, it's created a shortage of rental properties. My point in telling you this is that we have been going with an agent to see available properties a few times a week, and this week we could've become Nicole Kidman's neighbor. I don't think we'll choose it because of the commute for Matt. But, it was our first run in with Australian stardom. (Sydney is nowhere near Perth, where Heath Ledger was from...)

3 comments:

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

Hey, maybe we could do those rubbish piles here! I have plenty of stuff to put in them. The Cunninghams introduced themselves on Sunday. Seem like real nice people, but still not you guys. :( How can we go to the temple and do work for Tooter Durtz without you?!

Mike

Lindsey S. said...

It amazes me how observant they are! I love the peace sign!