Friday, February 1, 2008

Land of Oz

Well, we are on our 6th day in Australia. I think it is about the same temp as UT--28 degrees. Only, here, it's celcius where 28 means Hot and HUMID. Actually we had a big rainstorm last night and today that cooled the hot down and increased the humidity. I have never had curly hair before, but Woah! (if you saw the Friends episode--I feel like Monica did when she was in Puerto Rico...)

Maybe I'll start from the beginning. We arrived at the LA airport with 12 pieces of LARGE luggage. It was a miracle that we were able to get it to the check in counter with a baby, 3 kids and a stroller. Every kid helped. Bryson has been the "man of the house" for a couple months now, and he's taken his job very seriously. He carried luggage that weighed more than himself. After passing the test at check in, we had to get the bags to x-ray, and then wait through the lines at security. All of this at about 11:00pm, when we would all rather be sleeping. Amazingly, we made it, and no one even had a melt down.

Our flight to Australia began around 1am. The plane was packed full. We were served dinner at 3am, and then started falling asleep. Aubs was the first to go, then Zach. I moved Zach onto the floor so Bryson could lay across his seat and get some sleep, too. Taylor had a sweet baby bassinet that hung on the wall. It could've fit another couple babies! Well, somehow 10 hours passed, and it was time for breakfast, some coloring, a little TV a few more hours and then "prepare for landing!"
Sydney was especially hot, considering we were still in our winter-wear. We had to collect all that luggage again, get through customs and quarantine, and then find Matt. YEAH! He was there with his assistant Melinda, waiting to take us all to our new apartment.
Our car is a Toyota minivan. The Aussie version "Tarago" is much smaller, and of course has the driver on the WRONG side. It's scary enough to drive with Matt in the US, but this was insane! I had to really bite hard to keep my mouth shut!

Our apartment is small (2 bedrooms) with a tiny kitchen, but thankfully we have a pool here. It is the saving grace.






5 comments:

Palfreymans said...

We miss you already!! It is pretty remarkable that you made it without any major upsets, all things considered! I hear you about the hair, that's how I spent my 18 months in Houston. Makes for some interesting pictures. Andrew wants to tell Zach that he's excited to see him when we have our summer!!

Take care,

the Palfreymans

Linda Hall said...

Thank you for the SWEET pictures! I loved your great commentary. The kids looked so happy and cute in the pool! So did you Matt! Im glad everything went well on your flight over. I am proud of how well the kids did. You have a great family, and of course we miss you all. Love to all,
Mom/Grandma

Lindsey S. said...

I am not suprised they did so well on the flight. They are such well behaved kids. I'm on my last day of medicine and had broncitis. (spell?) I of course had to get sick the day before you leave! I'm sad we didn't get to give you guys and official bye but hopefully the time will go by fast and you'll be home! Then we will most likely be leaving... oh great... Tell matt I tried calling your guys number on his birthday but it kept going to the answering machine. I should of left a message but I didn't. But Happy Birthday!! I love you all, Tell the kids hi for us. We love you guys ton!

Heather Richardson said...

(Its me Jack,not my mom)Hey!I just wanted to say hi to Aubrey,Bryson,Zach,and(of course)Taylor!I wanted to ask how it is down under!I can not wait to see you again!
-Jack

Mike said...

Hey it is so great to get to see and read about your adventure. The first thing I notices was shorts and no snow!! I am so jealous. I'm glad you made it safely. Tell Matt we celebrated his birthday without him at Tucanos!

Keep posting

Mike