There are mosquitoes aplenty, but my reason for wanting to wear the netting is the FLIES. They are fat and slow and prefer landing on lips. Everyone walks around waving their arms, hitting themselves at random, fanning their nose and ears... I've tried to refrain from inhaling through my mouth. Ever.
And, no one is safe from my swatting. At least now I have a valid excuse for abusing Matt & the kids. (c'mon-you know it's just a joke.)
Poor Taylor. He is a feast for these insects. Bits of milk and banana are always dried to his face and crusted in his hair (not to mention the flys' favorite: poo in his pants). He rarely shoo's them away himself; it's the kids who are constantly on alert to "protect" him by slapping him. Won't it be a surprise when he starts slapping them back!
Here we are at dinner. The Rileys had us over for a barbie (Q) the other evening. Notice the swatter in Ben's hand. He never set it down. He once got 3 in one blow. It was hilarious. Until he smacked one on the serving platter. That kinda killed my appetite.
You would not believe how perfectly normal it is to have a conversation with someone while constantly waving your hand in front of your face. I once mocked the traditional bush ranger hats. Now, I'm seriously considering wearing one at all times. If you're not familiar with these hats, they have little corks at the end of the ropes. As you move, the corks swing around and keep the flies away.
This one's a souvenir for sure. The real ones have corks all in front of your face, too.And, I've heard the flies haven't even gotten bad yet.

7 comments:
Love the hat idea. I'd lose my appetite too with a flyswatter at the table! What is it with the bug theme lately? :)
Wow! I had no idea it was that bad. And I thought things were bad in Nauvoo... At least we could spray with insect repellent and for the most part be left alone. We didn't spray one night when we were in Kansas City, but weren't outside standing on the grass for more than 15 minutes or so. Thought we were safe. Some of us paid dearly--those chiggers don't take long to attack and they pack a mean punch. Hope fly season is short in Australia!
Dang! I thought I was going to be the first to comment, but Mike beat me to it. At least we're keeping it in the family!
Ughhhh! My nose is itching just reading your post. I can't stand it. (Note to self - don't visit in late November.)
I think it's time to move the party inside, when the swatter is used more than the fork - doncha think?
(p.s. I take it back. If I had the chance to come down today, i wouldn't hesitate. Flies & all.)
Hilarious post despite the subject matter - that cork hat is awesome. Do those flies bite? I hope not.
The epic movie "Australia" is opening here this week - Sue, you in?
Oprah did a whole show on it with Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman and plenty of footage from down under. Plus Hugh brought some sort of Tim Tams for the whole audience.
I want to see it, want to visit even more....
I can't stop laughing!
I'm glad i'm coming in April!(just kidding!i wouldn't hesitate ethier!)
Jack:P
Post a Comment