The Aussies have a reputation for being laid back folks. I haven't seen too much of this. Maybe because we live in the city. I don't really know.
What I do know is Aussie slang is perfect for people who are in such a rush that they can only manage half a word. Listening to the radio here is a joke. I still can't catch what the dj's are saying. It's like they're talking in code. I'm learning that in order to break the code, you have to be able to guess the rest of the word.
Here are a few I've heard (and some you may already know.) Before I give the answers, I'll let you have a 'go' (or have a 'think' about it).
brekkie, argie, footy, cuppa, barbie, cosy, servo, blowie, bushy, chewie, sickie, chocky, Chrissie, sanger, garbo
6 years ago

4 comments:
O.K. here's my "go":
breakfast
argument
football (soccer)
cuppa...tea?
BBQ
cosy - no clue
serviette (napkin!)
blowie,bushy,chewie - star wars characters?
bicycle
chocolate
Christmas
sanger - no clue
garbage
How'd I do?
Wow Heather. You are amazing. You got so many! I'll post up the answers tonight :)
All I know is Chrissie is my sister-in-law and she would be flattered to know that her name is used in Australia. Can't wait to tell her what it means!
K - I didn't see this post before the answers were up . . . but let me assure you that I wouldn't have done NEARLY as well as Heather. (but we all know she wins radio games shows!)
Post a Comment