Friday, November 28, 2008

Love Stories

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

You may be in your turkey coma about now, as it's about 6pm back home. We're already well into "Black Friday" here in Oz. Except, nothing's really on sale, and it's not a day off...
Matt has been working from home for a couple days (he's taking a 'sickie'). SO, as soon as we got the kids off to school yesterday, Matt had the fantastic idea to go see the movie "Australia." It was really good. I could have watched it all day. Oh wait, I did watch it all day! It was SO long! There were many times that I thought it was over, and I was feeling disappointed in the ending, and then WAIT it's still going! (And, I know you're all going to see it, so I'm NOT going to give away the ending, or even tell you whether or not I liked the ending! :)
It was an excellent romance. The scenery was stunning. Sadly, I doubt we'll ever get to visit the Northern Territory while we're here. This country is so incredibly diverse: in its landscape, its culture, its lifestyle. I'm so intrigued by the history of Australia. I feel like there is really no way to successfully integrate the Aboriginal way of life with the European (western) way of life. There is almost no overlap there. The Aboriginals are so totally removed from society the way "we" know it. They rely on instinct and nature and higher power and survival. "We" rely on intellect and reasoning and technology. Both cultures have SO much to offer, including a very purposeful life. I don't really have a point here. Just letting you into my head a bit.
Before the show, Matt & Taylor had a little romance of their own. Taylor is WAY into kissing right now. He leans in, mouth wide open, tongue hanging out, eye contact. It is so slimy. Everyone wants kisses from Taylor, until they get one, and then they freak out, wiping the slobber off their face. I say, stop wearing all that delicious strawberry vanilla LipSmackers if you don't want him licking you like a dog!


After the show, we lunched on Turkey Cranberry bagels. Matt even got a side of curly fries since there were no mashed potatoes... Delish! Bagels are rare here, and I DO love bagels! Especially with big fat hunks of brie and avocado...

Thanks for a terrific Thanksgiving Matt! I love you more than Nic loves Hugh!

6 comments:

Lindsey S. said...

I want to see that movie. I am glad to hear it was good. I think my parents are going tomorrow. I'm sure I won't see it until it is out on video. I love the pic of Taylor. He is so dang cute!

Sue Coe said...

Happy Turkey Day to you!! What a fun day - so glad Matt took you out.

Now I HAVE to go see Australia. (Dad mentioned during our thanksgiving feast at the beach today, that it would have cost a lot less if he had just taken mom to the movie . . . to SEE australia!

It was a nice day & fun cuz the weather cleared up just for us - beautiful at the beach! If you guys were there, it would have been PERFECT.

love, sue

Heather Richardson said...

Yes, it was a beautiful day at the beach yesterday. So wish you guys could have been there as well.
Blog post to come.

Your turkey bagels look delicious! I'm glad you got some celebrating in as well. Way to go. Next up, Chrissie! (see how I slipped my Australian slang in there?)

I definitely want to see Australia - I am a Baz Luhrman fan and have loved all of his previous movies (Strictly Ballroom, Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge) so I am going to be there!

Mike said...

Hey, we miss you enough that we would even rough it through a wet, slobbery kiss from Matt!! :)
Kristen is finally in her own room! That only took one year. She's getting a new bed today, so 1 1/2 years on the cot is gone too. We're so pathetic! :)

Linda Hall said...

You were right.The movie "Australia" was awesome! We took Zach and Lizzy. They loved it too. The filming was beautiful. Zach kept leaning over and saying how cute the little "creamy" boy was. I will recommend it to everyone. I hope the reviewers give it a chance.
We leave for Australia in just 5 days! We can't wait to see you all!
Love, mom/grandma

jack richardson said...

I agree with Sue. It would have been perfect!