Thursday, November 20, 2008

Slow news day


Nothing much to report, but there's always the weather, right?

Matt is away (again).

Don't tell him, but I'm getting pretty good at putting out the 'rubbish bins' and killing the flying cockroaches and watching CNN. (Not that that's all he's good for, but I'll get on with my story.)

Last night, thanks to the heavy cloud cover hiding the 8pm sunshine, I got the kids down early! Yay for me. I love my time at night. When Matt's gone I usually leave the tv on for noise, and busy myself with the kitchen clean-up and laundry...finally, settling in on the computer until my feet are frozen (the a/c vent is under my desk) and my earlybird friends in the US are waking up.

As I went about my routine, I could hear the rain getting heavier. We have a tin roof. And pretty much no insulation. And tons of windows. For a very brief second, I thought someone was standing outside our big glass doors snapping pictures of me! That would've had to be a massive camera flash, though, cuz it lit up the entire house. The thunder and lightning were coming simultaneously, so I couldn't really do the "counting" trick that I learned at girls' camp.

Anyway, downstairs, the rain was loud. I knew it was a big storm. But then I went upstairs to bed. Holy hammers dropping on the roof! It was so loud I couldn't hear myself read. I couldn't hear Taylor crying in the next room. When I discovered him, we hung out downstairs watching the pouring rain. It was amazing. I love a good thunderstorm.

Sadly, my feet didn't have their defroster (Matt), so I laid awake watching my room glow with every flash of lightning. This morning, the skies were blue and the sun (& the kids) got me up way before I wanted.

4 comments:

Mike said...

I love a good thunderstorm too. We had a massive one in Nauvoo this summer. Fortunately for us we were at a friends house that overlooks the Mississippi River, so we were treated to quite the show. The rain on the tin roof reminds me of my grandma's old house. I still love the sound of it.

Rebecca said...

Well, I was pretty much going to say what Mike said so just read his comment again and you will know what was flowing through my brain.

sixrich said...

WOW! Great story. You DO have lots of glass!

As I organize my photos of being with you, I still remember my first BIG impression--the volume of the early AM bird chatter. I claim it was 3 times what I am used to.

Thanks for showing me all the birds, (and bats and even the snake house near the kangaroo and koala I got to feel--not to mention the termite hive up in the tree as we walked in the bush.) That pram of yours with the rain guard is perf for you're partner, Taylor. Hope he is as patient about riding when he begins to walk! xox, Grammy A

Heather Richardson said...

We had some massive storms in Thailand too that were pretty amazing, but usually woke all the kids up.
In So Cal, not so much.

I love my night - time too.