keeping entertained while we wait for the ferry
overlooking Woollongong
a small fishing town about an hour south of Sydney. I'm not sure what Zach's zooming in on, but at least he has great binocular posture.
Kiama Blowhole
Every 10 minutes or so the waves would come just right and spout water up through the rocks. I missed getting a good photo the first few times, so Aubrye is whipping around to check if I got that one.

Featherdale Wildlife Park-- Just Mom, Tay & I went while the kids were in school. It was a much better experience than the first time I went. Somehow I never posted from that first time. It didn't leave a great impression on us, especially Aubrye (could it have been the giant EMU that followed her around? Or the fact that we brought a picnic lunch, not realizing we'd have to eat amongst the animals?) I'm pretty sure mom liked the fairy penguin and all the birds best (and there are 90 zillion to choose from.) Mom did not seem to enjoy the Goannas (giant lizards).
A little pre-Halloween fun for FHE.
I had this brilliant idea to take mom to see the flying foxes (large furry-headed bats) at the Royal Botanic Gardens. (mom & the kids weren't nearly as spooked as I was...) We were a bit unprepared for this adventure. We arrived before dusk to look for them hanging upsidedown in the tree branches, but we never did find any. Then the sun went down... and I nearly had a panic attack. There were SO many bats flying all around us! This photo of blurs is not even close to accurate, as you cannot see how big they are, nor how numerous, nor can you hear them. We ended up walking and walking in the RBG (since it was closed; that added to the spookiness) in search of the one gate available for exit. I hadn't packed a bottle for Tay or water for the rest of us. We were SO happy when Grammy found this bubbler (finally) after walking at least 5k's! You see the Opera House in that one pic? Well we started over there, and had to go around the entire Gardens and back to find our car. It was reminisent of the time Sue & I walked the kids from the Opera House to the Tower... not as close as it looks!
Bushwalking at Ku-ring-gai--Like I've said in the past, there's LOTS of nature here in Oz. Since it is spring, we are back to constantly walking through spider webs and pointing out 'the biggies'. Mom got a little too friendly with this guy if you ask me!

7 comments:
Whose idea was it to go see the furry-headed bats????? I can't believe it was yours...
And I DO remember that walk...dang, that was the never-ending journey! Wasn't that when I saw my first (of many) Smartcar Fortwo? Hope you are still pronouncing it correctly, like I taught you -- (fore-twah!!)
Thanks for sharing!!
Man, it is so cool to see all the stuff your family gets to do. I guess it is just so foreign to me that I can hardly imagine it. I'm glad that you are really taking advantage of your time there. Great memories!
Another great adventure down under!
I love all the pictures.
And what does it say about me, except that I watch too much America's Funniest Home Videos, that I kept waiting for that wallaby/roo in the video to jump up and kick g'ma in the stomach?? ugh.
great stuff, all!
I'm with ya Heather-any video with an unsuspecting human and strange animal seems to result in injury/mayhem. (And causes the viewer that shameful laughter/pity. Thankfully mom came out unscathed.)
And, every time I say mayhem, I get the WonderBees--Mayhem in the Meadow--stuck in my head :)Do you guys ever listen to that anymore?
I think you're getting braver with your adventures over there. I think I would have avioded the bat thing altogether. We got our first big snow storm here over night. Enjoy spring down under! Love you, J
Love your little Carrie photo!!
(decided not to go with the "H" rivet?")
If the panic attack was anything close to the mouse scare in the backyard I can imagine it very nicely! :)
Post a Comment